A show count of events query enables you to count the number of events in data sets of any size, rapidly. This information is a basic requirement for most businesses today. This article demonstrates one of the most basic methods.
Show a count of events
You can calculate the number of events over a set period of time in a number of ways. The query in the following example is basic, in that it does not require you to build custom properties.
To show a count of events, do the following:
- In the left menu bar, click Explore.
- In the upper left corner of the window, select the dataset. In our example, we chose IA_MOVIES_CHURN.
- In the first line of the query builder, accept the defaults: Show count of events.
- In the second line of the query builder, accept the default: Filtered to all events.
- In the third line of the query builder, accept the default: Split by none.
- Specify the Starting time for the scan by: choosing an option from the drop-down list, clicking the calendar icon and selecting a date from the pop-up calendar, clicking inside the text field and entering the desired value. In our example, we entered a value of 180 days ago. For more information on how Interana handles time intervals, see Specify relative time in a query.
- For the Ending time, accept the default: now.
- Click GO. The query results appears in the window on the right. We received the following results for our query.
This is what was achieved and what was omitted in this howto.