Why use a default prefilter?
Sometimes when Interana ingests your data, some data is less useful for the majority of your users. For example, you might have back-end events with names that mirror front-end events, or device heartbeat data.
To simplify the experience for your Interana users, you can create a prefilter that applies by default on a dataset for every user.
Note that prefilters usually do not significantly improve query performance.
How to define a default prefilter
You can create a default prefilter out of any event property that uses only other event properties. The prefilter can also be a column from a dataset.
To create a default prefilter:
- Work out what you want the prefilter to be.
- Save the prefilter as an event property if it isn't already.
- Contact your technical account manager. Give them the URL and event property name.
Who sees the default prefilter?
A default prefilter applies for all users and admins across one dataset (or table) within a cluster in Explore or apps.
The prefilter does not apply:
- In the flow builder (although it is available as an event property that you can use as a Filter).
- To an entire board, or to queries that have already been pinned to a board before you define the prefilter. (But if you define a new query with the prefilter and pin it to a board, the prefilter is pinned along with the query.)
For information about building a query with a prefilter, see Add a prefilter to your query in the User's Guide.
Any user can remove a default prefilter from their search. For data security, use dataset level permissions.